Chas Warn wrote:

> One guy may write a function in a few lines - another may take pages of
code
> to do the exact same thing. Who has the more logical brain? Who is the
> better programmer?

I'm not sure that's a good criterion. I'm more interested in how well the
code performs, how well it is documented, and how easy it is to maintain.
Sometimes shorter code == more obscure code. Not always, of course--often
shorter code == a more elegant solution.

There used to be contests to see who could cram the most C code into one
line. I have serious doubts about the value of that contest. Code should be
readable, documented, and maintainable.

Also, sometimes more code == faster code. Consider looping through an
array--if you use an extra line to store the count, a for loop should run
faster than if you use something like myArray.count as an argument in the
for loop.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson