I don't have a degree, I actually started using Flash quite a few years back
when I was working as a certified Mountain Guide (8 years of study and
training) and a paragliding instructor (3 years of training).

I wanted to create animations of air flow over a wing to show how it would
generate lift, etc.

For the past ten years I've worked in the internet world, mainly scripting /
programming, which is all self-taught.  I don't find that a lack of a formal
degree is any sort of burden, and would probably choose to go down the same
root if I had my time again.

Kevin