From: Radley Marx [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 04 September 2008 20:50
To: Flash Coders List
Subject: [Flashcoders] SOT: (Rant) Why is Adobe.com such a bad website?

As a designer and developer, I *envied* the design of macromedia.com.
I studied it. Other companies copied it.

I remember what a beautiful website MM once had, and at the time how
Adobe's was the exact opposite - ugly, hard to use, thoughtless. When
Adobe bought Macromedia, they immediately adopted the MM site.
Brilliant move! But over the past couple of years, Adobe has really
beat it down with the ugly stick.

With the demise of Flashpaper, I came across this page:

        http://www.adobe.com/products/flashpaper/eod_faq/

This is probably one of the ugliest, thoughtless pages from a serious
source I've ever experienced in my career.

Aesthetically, it's depressing. Depression-era-chic depressing.

As a utility, it's restrictive. I must click on each question to
discover the facts, with many simply answering "No."

Functionality, it's ridiculously ironic. Topic: Flashpaper
discontinued. First link: Buy online.

Other rants / examples:

1) How does a developer download the debug player via the download
page? There's no link!

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=Sho
ckwaveFlash

Answer? It's actually down in "Support / Flash Player". But most
developers find it via a better source: Google search.

2) Link icons on the debugger download page have been wrong for
*years*. The text links are right, but check out what happens if you
use the actual download arrows. You may accidently get Flash 8, or
Windows .exe instead of .dmg for Mac downloads.

        http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

(Note that I even managed to get an Adobe team member to forward these
bugs to the web team. Was never fixed.)

3) Look at this product page:

        http://www.adobe.com/products/

Why does it look like an abandoned store? It looks like a outsourced
Drupal project. Where's the flair? The edge?

Adobe.com makes me want to submit a bid to fix it.

What happened? I *REALLY* want to know! I just don't get it.

My apologies to the list for this rant. I really hope this gets the
attention of someone significant @ Adobe.

thank you.

-radley

------