Hi Glen,

Thanks for the response but I'm not looking for command-line compiling, but the actual execution of AS3 code from the command- line. My animation app uploads the user's creation as an xml file with all the keyframes and layer information. For browser playback, the app reads the keyframes and calculates all the tween information on-the-fly with beziers and easing functions (like After Effects). In order to render the movie to a flat-file though, I need to either do a draw() on the movie's container to a bitmap object and upload each frame, or somehow regenerate the animation on the server (hence the perl script). Uploading each frame would be immense and the perl script would require maintaining 2 separate animation calculating codebases, so I am wanting to somehow utilize my AS3 code on the webserver. I'm figuring this is impossible since a runtime environment (the plugin) is needed to run a swf but I'm hoping there's some bizarre workaround. Probably wishful thinking... ?

Alan

Flash uses the mxml compiler which is part of the Flex SDK. As long as you are not importing classes specific to the IDE, then you can run the
compiler on the command line.

Download the free Flex SDK from Adobe and see if you can compile your
classes - look at Flash Develop for something that can handle non-IDE
flash projects and Flex ones...

If you need Flash IDE classes, you may be able to compile a library SWF
which you can use / reference in your compile and load at runtime.

Glen

Alan wrote:
Hi all,

I'm developing a keyframe-based animation app in AS3 similar to After
Effects and I want the user to be able to render their final movies as
a quicktime to my server.  I started writing a perl script that reads
in the movie's xml file, composites the layer images using imagemagick
and then encodes them using ffmpeg.  However, it would be nice to use
my animation engine from the AS3 app to do the frame generation, so I
don't have to maintain 2 different versions of composition code that
calculate all the keyframes. Is there any way to utilize AS3 from the
command-line without having some sort of browser?