Thanks for your replies Kevin and John. Unfortunately it seems that neither of your solutions will work for me.

Director
I don't have Director and would rather try and use a current technology if it is available and compile my application from Flash or using the Flex command-line compiler.

fscommand
As far as I can see using this route requires that the application to be launched must exist in a specific folder on the DVD. I need to be able to open WMVs and I don't believe there is a free viewer for this file type.

Any other suggestions very gratefully received, surely this is a pretty common action?

Thanks :)
Ali