It sounds like this was a situation where you just passed off a project and
got the result in the end. My experiences have taught me to make sure to do
reviews often and recommend changes early. I think there are several issues
that cause these kinds of problems (language, education and styles to name a
few), and other than "hand-holding" there isn't very much you can do.
Steve Mathews
Sr. Technical Lead
Flypaper Studio