> If you have ever outsourced some Actionscript work to an outside vendor,
> have you ever struggled with how to spec out how you want them to code
> it?

I haven't done this, but have worked as a consultant to offshore
vendors before - they offshore their own consulting! - and would make
these recommendations.

1. Specify whatever frameworks, etc, you can in advance. If you plan
to maintain the source code yourself, you need to tell them in advance
to follow the standards and practices you'd use.

2. Weekly code reviews. Not monthly. You need to tell them what's good
and what's bad, so they can react accordingly.

3. Give samples of the kind of work you expect in advance, if possible.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/