-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Sidney
de Koning
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 11:48 AM
To: Flash Coders List
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] display trace() in text field

Michael,

When you override the exsisting trace function, you can do this. Just
include your own functionality in the overwritten trace function.

Its all because you want to have the same function call to trace() i
presume?

Sid

On Dec 4, 2008, at 5:10 PM, Sidney de Koning wrote:

> or you can override trace like so:
>
> override public function trace(...args) : void {
>       super();
>       textFieldYouWantToTraceIn.appendText(args.toString());
> }
>
> This is from the top of my head, so the code could have errors in it.
> Test it to see.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sid
>
> PS. You can ony do this from a class file. I don't think the Flash
> IDE lets you override functions directly.
>

> On Dec 4, 2008, at 5:03 PM, allandt bik-elliott (thefieldcomic.com)
> wrote:
>
>> function debug(s:String):Void
>> {
>>   _root.pathToTextField.myText.text += "/n"+s;
>> }
>>
>> then instead of trace(someString);
>> you use
>> debug(someString);

>> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Merrill, Jason <
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Trace only sends strings to the Flash or Flexbuilder output
>>> window, so no.
>>> However, all you have to do is set the variable you want to see to
>>> the text
>>> property of the textfield:
>>>
>>> myTextField.text  = myVariableIdLikeToSee
>>>

>>> Jason Merrill
>>> Bank of America     Instructional Technology & Media   *   GCIB &
>>> Staff
>>> Support L&LD
>>>
>>> Interested in Flash Platform technologies?  Join the Bank of
>>> America Flash
>>> Platform Developer Community
>>> Interested in innovative ideas in Learning?  Check out the
>>> Innovative
>>> Learning Blog and subscribe.

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed
and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise
protected from disclosure. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this email
or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended
recipient, is prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please
immediately notify us by calling our Help Desk at (415) 581-5552 or by
e-mailing us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]