On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Merrill, Jason
<jason.merr...@bankofamerica.com> wrote:
> 2.  Time it can take to learn something like haxe doesn't seem to give you
> enough ROI - at least my impression having looked at haxe as an alternative.

I have to disagree here -- learning haXe has definitely payed off for
me, and I very much enjoy using it. There are several reasons, from
performance over convenience to features like generics that helped me
to learn to think differently.
The difference is that haXe has some radical improvements that (IMHO)
outweigh the disadvantages of breaking compatibility with the sources
the rest of the community produces. Also, as I already mentioned, it
can generate AS3, and you can still use third-party libraries (it
automatically generates the headers for you).

The problem I'm having is with minor changes for convenience, for the
reasons you listed. But, if there's no lock-in and sources can be
"standardized" easily, then it could be a valuable alternative.
Otherwise, yeah, those would be the roadblocks that would slow or even
limit acceptance.

Mark