@Jason,
Yes, that is the sad truth I was hoping to avoid here. It's just another
argument for adobe developing a built in Frame class.

@Olivier,
While listening for REMOVED_FROM_STAGE is a nice trick, its just one more
listener to remove as part of clean. I'll trust myself to stop, close and
remove everything I've started for now. I do like that superDestroy()
function though.

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 6:31 AM, Olivier Besson <ol...@gludion.com> wrote:

>   Objects removed at any key
>> frame therefore should be eligible for garbage collection, assuming no
>> event
>> listeners or other code created a reference to them.
>>

> Yes.
>
> Another problem is: even if no listener or code references to these
> objects, they continue "playing" when they are removed by a blank keyframe.
> "playing" means that if the playhead was in play mode, the playhead
> continues playing, possibly triggering sounds, scripts, etc... :(
>
> It seems that as3 dev team just forgot what a blank keyframe is.
>
> I'm interested in the topic of "removeMovieClip" in as3, because it's a
> convenient use of the timeline, but I didn't take time to establish best
> practices about it.
>
> However here are some tracks or tips:
> - listen to REMOVED_FROM_STAGE at the top of display list. When an object
> is removed, "stop" it.
> - add complex behaviors to displayObjects (such as listeners, sounds,
> timers, etc..) using a "safe" API. That is: when you add something new (for
> example A) to displayObject B, you listen B's REMOVED_FROM_STAGE to
> "dispose" A.
>
> I don't want to use a IDisposable interface everywhere. Probably I will use
> a more brutal approach with a function similar to
> http://blog.gludion.com/2008/11/script-code-test.html (sorry it's in
> french but the script is quite self-explanatory).
>
> I anyone has other ideas, don't hesitate to share ;)
>

> --
> Olivier Besson (gludion) - (33 1) 44 64 78 99
> http://www.gludion.com
> http://blog.gludion.com

--Joel Stransky
stranskydesign.com