Thanks for all of your responses guys,I ended up using getCharBoundaries and
it works a treat.
FYI I created a text field at the position I wanted the letters to finally
go then stored the rectangle object for each char in an array and then
cycled through the array as Glen suggested.

Only thing is, when I use a multiline textfield my function will only gather
the char boundaries for the first line:
If anyone can suggest why it would be a help.
Cheers!
Ali

public static function letterPosAr(t:TextField):Array
{
trace("letterPosAr");
var retA:Array = new Array();
for (var i:int = 0; i < t.text.length; i++){
var rect:Rectangle = t.getCharBoundaries(i);
trace("---index"+i+"  char:"+t.text.substr(i, 1)+"  x:"+rect.x+"
y:"+rect.y+" w:"+rect.width);
retA[i] = rect;
}
return retA;