I am creating a crossword generator where you can enter the size of the grid
and a list of words but for the life of me cannot get it to generate a
puzzle with all the words in my list. This list of words is from a crossword
that I know is possible. Now either my generator is not up to scratch or the
process of creating a crossword is very complex and will require so many
iterations that it would take a long time to work out a solution.

Here is the list of words I am trying to generate the crossword with. The
size of the grid is 9 x 9. I have tried several online crossword generators
and none of them are able to generate a puzzle of this size with these
words. The most words I have been able to generate a puzzle with is 11
words. However I know for a fact it is possible as I have an actual
crossword with these 16 words. I would therefore appreciate any advice.
Perhaps someone has a crossword generator they can try these 16 words in?

quantity
alb
iliad
epee