PV3D's pretty good, tho there's a little bit of a curve to learning it. I
haven't done any Away3D stuff but I've heard good reports about that too.You
probably don't want to go down the custom road as once you start to deal
with z-sorting and all that in earnest it balloons in complexity quickly.
CS4's native 3D stuff is generally only good for planes, there's no native
poly handling. I think the latest PV3D has been tweaked to take some
advantage of the native FP10 3D stuff on the render side, but I didn't have
that as an option on my last PV3D project and hence didn't explore it.
As far as morphing shapes goes, you're probably going to have to do that in
a dedicated 3D suite then export that animation to a Collada file. You can
spin and move stuff (in PV3D), but actual manipulations of the shapes/polys
in an object are going to be best handled in a more or less canned fashion,
depending on the complexity you're looking for or if you want to write
something that creates the polys dynamically, which is again easier in PV3D
than "Pure" AS3.