That page was old, it does work in AS3.

OK, so, burning with curiosity (and a desire to postpone doing the latest
batch of client changes), I fired up Flex Builder, created a private var,went
into the constructor, hit ctrl-space, and the autocomplete shenanigans
triggered. If ya type in the first couple letters, then do it, it
autocompletes.

So yeah, the difference is merely auto- vs manual-triggering of code
completion if there's not a "." involved. the Eclipse-based editors (by
default, in FDT's case) trigger their code hinting with ctrl-space, where
FDT doesn't.

How's FD handling vectors these days? I haven't used FD since they became
available. FDT's a little wack in that if you have an interface built with,
say, Vector.<String>, when you auto-populate your stub function with all the
interface methods it only types it to Vector (with no type), which is kind
of annoying at present. But it does handle them fine within classes, where