hasOwnProperty does not tell you whether it has a length, though. It only checks for existence.

And for some reason, it looks like you modified my code when quoting me:

>> if (node.hasOwnProperty("instance").length() > 0)

I didn't write that code, which would error since a Boolean doesn't have
length().

I wrote this:

if (node.attribute("instance").length() > 0)

Which not only works, but is the recommended way of writing this code by Adobe themselves directly from the E4X documentation.

You're suggesting to write more code to do the same thing. Why should anyone write more code to do the same thing?