I make destroy methods, avoid using extra references to listeners and am compulsive about cleaning them up, still some continue to execute imperviously.
I hate when this happens cause its unpredictable and unexplainable.

All I know is the "Real" garbage collectors are sometimes late picking up my garbage after I put it outside for them.

-- Keith H --
www.keith-hair.net

Steven Sacks wrote:
No, it's not true. You're misunderstanding how weak listeners work, how anonymous functions work (you shouldn't use those anyway), and you're also misunderstanding how the garbage collector works.

Whenever you addEventListener, immediately write a function that removes the event listener (such as a destroy method). If you get into this habit, you will never forget to do it and you'll never have this issue ever again.