From: Glen Pike
Sender: flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com
To: Flash Coders List
ReplyTo: Flash Coders List
Subject: [Flashcoders] MouseMove - performance issues
Sent: Feb 1, 2010 7:23 AM

Hi,

I am noticing a performance issue creeping into my application todo with mouse movement.

We have a touchscreen with custom sliders to control stuff via a few AS3 classes then an XML socket.

The sliders use a "thumb" which applies an MOUSE_MOVE listener to the stage when the thumb receives a MOUSE_DOWN event and removes it when the stage / thumb gets a MOUSE_UP event.

If someone moves the slider quickly, over a period of time, the screen update becomes more and more delayed and when you release the slider. it bounces around for ages after you let go, the longer and faster you move it for, the longer it takes to stop.

Now some of this bottleneck is due to the amount of code that gets called each mouse move, which I understand. What I could do with does anyone have any tips or techniques for reducing the bottleneck or handling the mouse movement events differently.

e.g. Do I need to start looking at ENTER_FRAME or timer based events, or something else.

From what I understand, FlashPlayer will handle the mouse events as the OS sends them - the problem is not apparent on Windows running dual Xeon 5150's, but deploying on an AMD Athlon Dual core 5000+ running Gentoo + FP10 (10.0.32.18?) the FlashPlayer don't like it, no sirree.

    TIA.

    Glen

Nathan Mynarcik