Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 13:23:40 +0000
From: Glen Pike <g...@engineeredarts.co.uk>
Subject: [Flashcoders] MouseMove - performance issues
To: Flash Coders List <flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com>

Hi,

   I am noticing a performance issue creeping into my application todo
with mouse movement.

   We have a touchscreen with custom sliders to control stuff via a few
AS3 classes then an XML socket.

   The sliders use a "thumb" which applies an MOUSE_MOVE listener to
the stage when the thumb receives a MOUSE_DOWN event and removes it when
the stage / thumb gets a MOUSE_UP event.

   If someone moves the slider quickly, over a period of time, the
screen update becomes more and more delayed and when you release the
slider. it bounces around for ages after you let go, the longer and
faster you move it for, the longer it takes to stop.

   Now some of this bottleneck is due to the amount of code that gets
called each mouse move, which I understand.  What I could do with does
anyone have any tips or techniques for reducing the bottleneck or
handling the mouse movement events differently.

   e.g.  Do I need to start looking at ENTER_FRAME or timer based
events, or something else.

   From what I understand, FlashPlayer will handle the mouse events as
the OS sends them - the problem is not apparent on Windows running dual
Xeon 5150's, but deploying on an AMD Athlon Dual core 5000+ running
Gentoo + FP10 (10.0.32.18?) the FlashPlayer don't like it, no sirree.

   TIA.

   Glen