I have paragraphs of text which includes phonemic symbols: pretty much
any character found here should be included:
http://www.e-lang.co.uk/mackichan/call/pron/type.html

I thought I was home and hosed, as Lucida Sans Unicode / Lucida
Grande, which seems pretty standard, covers all that.

The problem came when I found out that I also have to be able to
display the undertie character:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tie_(typography) (HTML code ‿)

It seems that the only font on Windows that covers the undertie is
Arial Unicode MS. Unfortunately, Arial Unicode MS doesn't seem to be a
standard font.

I don't want to have to embed Arial Unicode MS because that would
really add to my file sizes, as well as restricting my ability to do
things like textfield.htmlText = "<b>bold</b> text". It seems like
such overkill for ONE SINGLE GLYPH.

Would anyone be able to suggest any alternatives? ALL I WANT IS AN
UNDERTIE ... *sob*