Thanks for that link, Ktu. I didn't know you could specify Unicode
ranges to embed - very handy.

Unfortunately, the problem still remains of having to combine an
embedded font and a device font in the same textfield. As Lee Brimelow
demonstrates near the end of the tutorial, the lowercase 'u' didn't
display because only uppercase glyphs were embedded. It seems like if
I choose to embed only the undertie character, my textfield will only
be capable of displaying ... the undertie character!

It seems like this is the conundrum:

1) I need to embed the undertie character, as Arial Unicode MS is not
guaranteed to be found on all machines.

2) That means that any textfield which would have an undertie in it,
would have to have embedFonts = true;

3) Any textfield which has embedFonts = true can only display
characters included in the embedded font. Which, referring back to
(1), would just be an undertie.

4) This means that if I want to have an undertie, I'd have to embed
the undertie AND every single other glyph which might be used in that
textfield. Uppercase, lowercase, punctuation, numbers, etc. Further,
I'd have to embed separate versions for each of bold, italic, and
bold-italic.

All this for an undertie!!