hmm, perhaps I was sounding a bit too snobbish. My point is really that,
espessially with
learning computer stuff, be it creative(photoshop etc.) or coding, alot of
resources
are available online, and I'm always surprised when people start about books
as soon
as there's some questions or tutorial requests, not trying to offend anyone
here, books are good
for alot of people, but to be fair, alot that is available in books is  at
least also available on the internet.

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Paul Andrews <p...@ipauland.com> wrote:

> On 05/03/2010 18:04, Dave Watts wrote:
>
>> Guess it depends on the person, I have been a Flash developer for over 5
>>>>

>>> Gosh. We can all learn something from a good book, no matter how
>>> accomplished we are.
>>>
>>> You might have learned something new or just plain faster.
>>>

>> Not to speak for Meinte, but different people learn things different
>> ways. Some people learn well by reading books, others don't. This has
>> nothing to do with how smart or accomplished we are or aren't.
>>

> I like lynda.com but it doesn't mean I won't pick up a book too. Meinte
> might be surprised if he took a little time to pick up a book - it's a
> different perspective. I'm not suggesting that Meinte isn't a good developer
> because he hasn't picked up a book, but I think he has missed out by
> excluding that experience and it isn't a great idea to exclude a resource
> for five years for whatever reason. It's certainly a practice I'd discourage
> for anyone wanting to learn anything.
>
> My comment maybe is a bit "old school" in that I am totally surprised that
> someone would be learning something and apparently avoiding books. I guess
> it might be a phase of the digital revolution.
>
> Meinte - books are good. It makes me feel sad that you haven't picked one
> up.
>
> Paul
>

>  Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
>> http://www.figleaf.com/
>> http://training.figleaf.com/
>>
>> Fig Leaf Software is a Veteran-Owned Small Business (VOSB) on
>> GSA Schedule, and provides the highest caliber vendor-authorized
>> instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.

Meinte van't Kruis

Freelance Flash Platform Dev (mxml,actionscript,flex,air)

malatze
http://www.malatze.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/meinte
mei...@malatze.com