The UI is a PITA in Blender, but once you get the hang of it, you can work faster and the cheat sheets you can find are useful. My major grievance with Blender is why they don't make the save shortcut automatically save rather than showing a popup confirmation dialog under your mouse - we have lost hours of work because of that stupid idea and they still can't understand why people are frustrated by it. The Blender UI design philosophy is cited somewhere in their website and it's basically "learn if or go somewhere else" which tends to be applied when you make a suggestion like "CTRL+S should save, not prompt".