Thanks for the replies guys.

Changing the wmode to "window" is not possible, because it's a drop down
menu over html elements - it has to remain transparent. Besides, I tried
that during testing, and it didn't help.

Hendrik is correct about the focus, it's in the web-browser, not Flash.  I
don't even think it's about focus anymore, the situation got weird. When the
top of the Flash is set to 0 (or even at 10 pixels), everything works. But
when I try to move it down a bit lower in the browser with CSS (in any way
possible: setting the top value, setting the top value of its parent,
setting various margins and paddings, you name it), the moment you scroll
down, the rollovers become inactive.

I did solve it in the end by keeping it at 0 and adding white space at the
top of the flash movie itself, but that's a bit of a kludge. The CSS is an
adaptation of an existing template for the CMS, so I have no idea what can
be causing the bug. Some kind of z-indexing problem? Anything else that
could be interfering?

Mystified,
Karina