This is a software voice, so nailing down vowels should be easier. However
you mention matching recordings with the live data. What is being matched?
Some kind of pattern I suppose. What form would the pattern take? How long
of a sample should be checked continuously, etc.?

It's a big topic. I understand your concept of how to do it, but I don't
have the technical expertise or foundation to implement the idea yet.

Eric

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Henrik Andersson <he...@henke37.cjb.net>wrote:

> Eric E. Dolecki wrote:
>
>> I have a face that uses computeSpectrum in order to sync a mouth with
>> dynamic vocal-only MP3s... it works, but works much like a robot mouth.
>> The
>> jaw animates by certain amounts based on volume.
>>
>> I am trying to somehow get vowel approximations so that I can fire off
>> some
>> events to update the mouth UI. Does anyone have any kind of algo that can
>> somehow get close enough readings from audio to detect vowels? Anything I
>> can do besides random to adjust the mouth shape will go miles in making my
>> face look more realistic.
>>

> You really just need to collect profiles to match against. Record people
> saying stuff and match the recordings with the live data. When they match,
> you know what the vocal is saying.

http://ericd.net
Interactive design and development