There isn't really anything such as "learning JSON", JSON is basically just
an object, and is your best bet.

You can convert an XML string to JSON, store it, and then when you need it
reconvert it to XML if you really need to, but unless you're doing things
with E4X that is probably unnecessary.

There are several libraries for a number of different languages to work with
JSON, a lot of languages have the functionality built in, for AS3 you can
use the as3 core lib or you can use this:

http://www.thanksmister.com/index.php/archive/json-lite/

Taka