Working on a game where the player must draw around some colored balls on
screen by dragging the mouse to create the polygon that surrounds the
objects.

The polygon is created by drawing a series of lines every time the mouse
moves. If one of these lines intersects one of the balls (movie clip) I need
to perform an action.

So my question is how to detect when the line intersects a movie clip?

The following is unsuitable as it treats the line as a rectangle e.g a
vertical line will have a lot of hit area that I do not want to be hit area

if (ballMC.hitTestObject(lineMC)) {

My other best suggestion is to use the 4 lines that make up the bounding box
of the ball movie clip and do a line intersection test for each line against
the line being drawn. This seems overly complex so before I try this I
wanted to check there is not a simpler solution.

Thanks in advance