I have pretty much given up on Flash for websites or web applications.

I have two kinds of clients: small clients who want a portfolio website or
something similar scale, and then the agency clients where my work is all
marketing work. Marketing people are o b s e s s e d with iphones / ipads
and facebook so if it doesn't play nicely with them then forget it. I used
to make Flash websites or Flash elements on websites for marketing agencies
but since about two years ago I have not done anything web-based for them,
it is all AIR apps for desktop and tablets. I actually prefer making AIR
apps than websites.

Reluctantly accepting the need to move on I am learning JS (which feels
like going back to AS2) and brushing up on my HTML & CSS, I'm also learning
ModX framework for building content managed sites. I'm pretty sold on ModX.
Small clients always wanted a CMS but could never cough up enough for a
bespoke system and I never found one that worked with Flash so had to use
XML files, which most clients found difficult to manage themselves. So
getting a backend framework has been a positive from this; and making AIR
apps which I wanted to do before AIR ever existed and I made projector
files. But otherwise I am disappointed the way it is unravelling for Flash.
I'm sure Adobe could have handled the media better on this.

I was at an Adobe HTML 5 conference last year and they definitely see HMTL
5 for all web stuff, and Flash for apps and gaming. That roadmap seems to
suggest it is very game heavy. I don't really play computer games and I
haven't made one either so not sure how I feel about that.

For what its worth I really like AS3 and I hope it stays,  if Flash dies on
the web though then there is no hope of JS getting an upgrade to be like
AS3 as there will be no competition, no incentive.

I'm off to do some banner ads... (seriously!)

On 23 February 2012 08:12, Tom Gooding <t...@quickthinkmedia.co.uk> wrote:

> Essence being "Flash isn't for websites any more but still well suited to
> gaming products"? Seems a reasonable strategy / direction to me..
>

> On 22 Feb 2012, at 18:50, James Merrill <jmerri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html
> >
> > A new version of AS3 will be nice, it's just too bad no one wants Flash
> > anymore. Flash player is basically dead in the water, with its future
> usage
> > being hardcore gaming. How many of you guys/gals are doing that?
> >

> > --
> > James Merrill

David Hunter

www.davidhunterdesign.com