From: flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com
[mailto:flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com] On Behalf Of James
Merrill
Sent: 09 May 2013 16:19
To: Flash Coders List
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Adobe Flash future

>From my perspective as a former Flash Developer at an Ad agency, I
>can't
imagine us getting any more serious Flash work. These days we still use
Flash for banner ads, but that's it. We've tried using Adobe Edge to do
HTML5 banners, but it was an awful experience. I rest ALL of my blame on
Adobe for both of these situations, not the underlying technologies.

If you're betting on Adobe, you're going to lose. They've royally screwed up
how they handled this whole Flash fiasco in the last five years. I have ZERO
faith in their Edge HTML5 platform, and I suggest that you don't buy the
hype. Adobe makes good designs software, and that's it.

As AS3 Flash developers, we understand the complexities of RIA's much better
than your average Javascript programmer. We've been doing "AJAX" far before
it was popularized in mainstream web development. It was sendAndLoad to us
in AS2. We understand animation, interactivity, and user experience much
more than most. That's our strength, and it transcends Flash. A lot of you
may not believe me, but it's becoming a reality that you can make Flash
quality experiences in modern browsers.

As for coding HTML5/CSS/JS in an opensource IDE with Greensock JS, Angular,
or even Jquery, it's getting better. Javascript is not as elegant as AS3,
actually it's more akin to AS2... But progress is being made with new
releases of ECMAScript, and MV* frameworks like Backbone and Angular.

I miss the good ole days of Flash... But times are exciting as a web
developer, I've found some comfort in embracing the change.

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Kevin Newman <capta...@unfocus.com> wrote:

> On 5/8/13 2:20 PM, John R. Sweeney Jr. wrote:
>
>> Please tell me another software that I can build an app that runs on
>> PC/MAC/Linux/iPad/Android/Web (non-mobile)?
>>
> NME / haXe, or with a bit of additional work, Xamarin (with the
> various Mono ports) - or Unity3D - based on the same tech. There are
> dozens of C/C++ based cross platform frameworks as well - Cocos2D,
MarmaladeSDK, etc.
> Some scripting engines, CoronaSDK, LoomScript, etc. I still think
> Flash has an edge (except maybe over Xamarin), but tell that to Adobe.
>
> I wish Adobe was as enthusiastic about defending Flash as you are.
> That would go a long way toward convincing potential buyers, that the
> platform isn't going to evaporate tomorrow. As I said in another post
> - Flash and AIR are great tech, but Adobe's public support is
> nonexistent, which is sad, because it wouldn't take much.
>
> Kevin N.

James Merrill