Did adobe really advance the state of the art with flash though? they did
stuff that the community was screaming for and had been for a long time. It
was often buggy too.

CreteJS is very nice, and it's only just started so I expect it to get
better. For the web I've already done a couple of things with Haxe using
the externs for CreateJS that compile to flash and canvas using exensively
the same code. Just have a class to manage the creation of assets which has
the different code required for Containers/Sprites and the differences in
handling text.  Then your logic stays the same for both targets, you can
even use TimelineMax seamlessly on those assets. It's a very nice way to
work and you get to cover IE6/7 etc. with flash and the iOS/android/devices
with canvas.

Anyway Adobe have killed flash if flash is dead. They hndled the conflict
with Apple in the worst way possible and the negative publicity created
just snowballed to the point where the lesser technology won out. That's a
shit state of affairs in anyone's books.

I echo though the transferable skills from AS3. I started ages ago getting
in to Haxe and that experience is now opening doors for me to start messing
with other languages too.