On Sun, Jan 15, 2023 at 11:14 PM Sebastian Moeller <moell...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On 16 January 2023 02:52:45 CET, Dave Taht <dave.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >A rather long, meandering piece:
> >
> >https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/flaws_in_flent/
>
> I think 'Flent’s default sampling rate is too low' has a conceptually simple
> solution, record dats at high sample rates and optionally downsample before
> plotting... However with the range of network speeds flent covers picking a
> sane default is going to be a challenge. With almost all endhosts sporting
> gigabit ethernet interfaces and beyond I am unsure whether basing the sample
> rate on to-be-detected interface rate would help (it might serve to give an
> upper bound for sampling rate).

The real problem is we run out of cpu when polling ss too fast. I
haven't played with google labs' sampler as yet, it's here:

A righter answer, long term, is to start wedging a lag meter, and
sampling TCP_INFO, directly into more utilities and libraries. Adding
a lag meter to git, for example, would get some eyeballs on
bufferbloat quickly. Something that worked within a web browser,
passively, would be good also.

Getting TCP_INFO sampling into rust and go has been on my mind.

https://github.com/rust-lang/socket2/issues/362

And thank you for reading. I am loving having emacs in front of me
again. I hope to move more of my workload back into that, including
email, and to add a grammar checker, in the hope that more of what I
write in the future is more accessible.

Assuming I can keep pounding out text at this rate, and continue to
improve my workflow, the bufferbloat.net site will improve rapidly.

> regards
>         Sebastian
>

> --

This song goes out to all the folk that thought Stadia would work:
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/dtaht_the-mushroom-song-activity-6981366665607352320-FXtz
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC