Hi all,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster... I wanted to draw your attention to an issue that I'm having with Flex Builder: Basically, the Preview/Run/Debug functionality stops working when you subclass mx.core.Application and/or mx.containers.Form in your applications.

Of course this is a perfectly legal thing to do and, actually, the ARP framework will be recommending this as a best practice (among other things, it makes migrating from Flash to Flex child's play.) It also gets around having to mix code into your MXML files -- which is a nasty practice akin to how we used to #include script files in ActionScript 1 in Flash. In any case, this is a fundamental use case and it appears that Flex Builder doesn't currently support it. I posted about this on my blog in more detail, with a barebones sample to demonstrate the bug:

http://www.flashant.org/index.php?p=273&more=1&c=1

I am still holding out hope that there is a way to override this default behavior in Flex Builder to tell it that it's ok to preview a subclass of Application/Form but I haven't been able to find such a way using the Dreamweaver extensibility APIs.

Perhaps someone from the Flex team will have a potential solution/workaround for this.

All the best,
Aral

--
Aral Balkan
Managing Director, Ariaware Ltd.

Best Practices Flash & Flex Development course - March, 2005. London UK

Tel: +44 (0) 870 7542240
Fax:+44 (0) 870 7542240
Mob: +44 (0) 779 5551278