You can tweak the gateway to give more info by modifying its
configuration file directly. Go to:

/WEB-INF/flex/gateway-config.xml  (not flex-config.xml)

Set Debug level logging for the gateway:

    <logger
level="Debug">flex.services.logging.FlexGatewayLogger</logger>

Check the /WEB-INF/flex/logs/flex.log or simply watch the server console
window if you've enabled console logging for Flex and have launched flex
from the command line rather than as a service. You should see what the
ActionScript Message Format (AMF) deserialized as...

The server side representation of your class has to loosely match the
client types based on what is serialized. While it's true that the Flash
Player might not serialize all of the properties on a client object if
they're undefined, this shouldn't concern the server type as only the
properties sent will be used to initialize your server type.

If your client Group type has a property:

        var subGroups:Array;

Then the server type should have:

        public void setSubGroups(Group[] gs);

If you still can't get it to work, zip everything up and email it to me
off list.