I understand the tcp approach but that's just a really
roundabout/indirect approach vs a direct db connection of some sort
(maybe native drivers if ODBC is not your thing - again look at the
Python libraries) .

I'd be curious to hear the official Adobe position on this and whether
this is a feature they may offer in the future. Since AIR allows access
to the file system (XML or csv text files only AFAIK) I can see folks
asking for other access to other file types (e.g. MS Excel).  I can also
understand that Adobe may see this somewhat problematic from a
marketing/product positioning/support standpoint.

FWIW I don't think this issue will go away if AIR gets real traction in
the market place. There are just so many desktop database apps out there
that are begging to be web enabled.

Just my $0.02c-
Patrick

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Josh McDonald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That being said, I know you can do ODBC over tcp, so if you've got
some sort
> of server available that can route from odbc over tcp to a local file
DSN,
> you could probably write a socket ODBC client for AIR, and then charge
> people in your position a fortune to use it. People stuck in
Windows-world