I know this has come up before but there is a significant need to
access data in desktop  databases (Read Only would be OK). (e.g. I am
working with the Google App Engine and there is no easy way to
populate their datastore).

A GUI upload app written in AIR could be great for this. I've thought
about doing a small GUI in Python since the libraries are available -
however I'd prefer to use AIR for GUI development.

While support for this may not be available out of the box I wondered
if some 3rd party libraries might be available for this - e.g. Python
has extensive libraries than can be used to access Excel, Access etc.

Any chance that similar Flex/AIR/Actionscript libs might be developed?
Anyone else out there thought about doing this?

TIA,
Patrick