There is a different way to look at this. Right now, Flash is still just
and "on-line" technology in the view of most people. Even though AIR
does a lot of things, people still don't think it is very important.
Similar problem that Microsoft had with VB being considered only a
desktop tech and almost none taking it seriously as a server until
Microsoft built server based applications.

For me, Mass appeal of AIR is huge! It would mean that I can push Flex
as a Desktop as well as a Web application. It becomes the replacement
for VB and .net which then lets me solidify the build once/deploy
everywhere that we have been talking about since the early Java days.

I understand your concern that Adobe is doing similar things as you are
however, Micorsoft, IBM, Oracle and most others also make a lot of
applications that are similar to what their developers build also. The
difference is customization as well as usage. I think if Adobe can
produce good desktop and Web applications that we can showcase, we will
be able to move the market away from Microsoft and Sun and increase the
viability of using Flex in corporations.

For me, at my company we were choosing between Silverlight, JavaFX, Doja
and Flex. It was the fact that Microsoft had released Photoshop Express
that helped to sell Flex.

That is my .02.