I get "value is not a function" - I guess because toLowerCase() cannot work
on an XMLList.  You would have to do:

rootXML.group.(name.text()[0].toLowerCase()=="fred"&&name.text()[0].toLowerCase()=="bob")

which, like you say, would always return nothing.

Or you have to specify group elements with exactly one child name element.