thanks guys, tim i do agree with your pseudo-rant- there are just too many
things in flex that should be easy or 'no-brainers'.  This being a perfect
example.  Flex is awesome, make no mistake, but I think enough people do
this sort of technique to build it in to the framework- hopefully for next
version.  Working with forms is another process I would love to see refined
for the next version but I'm getting off topic.

yeah i noticed that 'prompt' actually goes away when you select another
option- so I put a button next to the cbo to set it to selectedIndex = -1
which works but is ugly.  alex i'll try to follow your example.

d.