> > Currently, it is browser based, running through SSL, using AMFPHP to
> > execute shell_exec() commands to run low-level Unix scripts to configure
> > the
> > devices.
>
> Are you saying the existing browser-based version executes commands locally
> (i.e. the browser and web server (with AMFPHP both live on the device) ?

If I understand your question correctly, the web server (Apache) and AMFPHP are
running on
the device itself. The browser is just what the user has on their local machine
(Firefox, Safari,
IE, etc). So if I was the user, I would open a browser and navigate to the IP
address of the
device. The device would then just serve up the application.

To use a real device as an example let's just say the device is a DVD player
and you have the
ability to log into it via it's IP address on your network and do some
low-level configurations
on it. Make sense? I confuse myself on this sometimes :)