A third option posts HTML Table formatted data (in a new browser window) to
a server-side script (ColdFusion in my case but ASP/JSP/PHP should work as
well) which then reflects it to the browser with the MIME type set to one of
the myriad Excel versions. Then the browser handles it as needed (save file,
ask user, open in Excel, etc.).