I also looked at Alex's code and decided I wanted something a little
more suited to my peculiar needs.  I implemented a custom control
which has two data grids, one for the data and one for the totals at
the bottom.  I also added some fancy code to cope with making totals
in different ways (e.g. aggregating averages - the old sum(x)/n vs
sum(x/n) problem) and to handle formatting.

It is not as clean an interface as I would like, but it is pretty
useful and it now appears in lots of places in my UI.  There is a
known bug where the column widths are misaligned when trhe control
first shows, but my users seems to be able to live with that.

If you contact me at simon.palmer @ gmail.com I'll send you some code
and you can perhaps adopt it for your own needs.  If I could figure
out a host who would allow swf's I'd post it on my blog.