Aargh, the shoemaker's children are barefoot.

I am creating a static dataProvider for the combobox:

_aHC2SODP = [{data:"0", label:"0 °F"},{data:"20", label:"2 °F"}];
//looking for the "degree" symbol

But the above renders literally.

I have discovered that building a string in actionscript and then assigning it
to a Label.text also does *not* work:
     var sTemp:String = "0 °F";

     lbltest.text = sTemp;

The entity code renders literally.

But declaratively, the degree symbol renders as desired:

<mx:Label text="0 &#176;F" />

So one sure solution is to create my static dataProviders declaratively.  So I
guess my question changes to "Is there some way to do this in AS?"

Tracy