Good enough, heres an example reworked using an embeded
sound.  onSoundComplete still fires flawlessly.  Perhaps the problem was
that Tom had the Sound variable scoped locally to the function, while I
have mine accessible to the whole class.

<mx:Application
         width="800" height="600"
         xmlns:mx="http://www.macromedia.com/2003/mxml";
         creationComplete="appInit()">

     <mx:Script>
         <![CDATA[

         [Embed('Simpsons.mp3')]
         var url:String;
         var snd:Sound;
         function appInit() {
                 startSound(url);
         }

         function startSound(currentSound){
                 feedback.text += currentSound+" playing now";
                 snd = new Sound();
                 snd.attachSound(currentSound);
                 snd.onLoad = mx.utils.Delegate.create(this, playSound);
                 snd.onSoundComplete = mx.utils.Delegate.create(this,
soundStopped);
                 snd.start();
         }
         function playSound(){