Is this a client/server app, or a client-only app? If client only, you
can't call ActiveX objects, in fact, you can't run Java code at all
(except with the proxy, which makes things more complicated).

In the HTML file - you are loading it in IE, and using that to access
ActiveX objects? That code won't work in AIR, because AIR uses its own
in-built Webkit based browser, not IE.

How about just distributing that SWF and the HTML file instead of
using AIR? Not as neat, but will work, on Windows machines with Word
installed at least.

If you only need to tackle the new Office Open XML files, you can use
AIR's E4X support to work with the XML file.

Otherwise, except reverse engineering the Word format, you're pretty
much out of luck with AIR - you can't even execute external EXEs with
it.

Sam