----- Original Message -----
  From: dorkie dork from dorktown
  To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:05 AM
  Subject: Re: [flexcoders]Need help creating a Singleton with MXML

  Yay! That's the class I needed! :)

  To answer your question why. First I like to use MXML. Any tool can parse
XML. Plus, with this class, I plan to drop it into all my future project and
set properties on it. If I had more than one instance it would screw up the
application. Other classes use some of its functionality so I am providing a
getInstance(). The problem has been that the other classes may be declared
before the MXML instance. So I updated my code to always call the getInstance()
method and both problems have been solved!!!

Eventually for functionality like that you will end up using actionscript
classes, so it would be better to go there now that put off that day. If you
are determined to use MXML in this way, there's nothing stopping you
implementing the singleton as an actionscript class then having that class
instantiate the MXML class and return a reference to it. There's no need to
have a situation where you want to use the MXML class but it doesn't exist.

Until I saw this thread I had never imagined that anyone would use MXML for
creating singletons.

Paul