For whatever reason, setting content-disposition stuff didn't work for
me and was running out of time. What I ended up doing was this,

 - User clicks a button to generate the file on the Java side and save
it to the server.
 - In Flex, when server returns the usual XML response saying all is
OK, I dynamically add a button to the app to handle the download using
a FileReference object.
 - On successful download (Event.COMPLETE), I delete the button from
the app.

- Alex