On 27/01/2009, at 6:10 PM, Sam Lai wrote:

> I think the issue here is that if Adobe/MS used SVG as a base instead
> of their proprietary XML dialects, then they won't be able to innovate
> and implement new features as quickly.

I disagree, and cite the HTML web browser example again....

> If they added proprietary extensions to SVG, there'll be a massive
> backlash as seen with IE and its CSS, JS and HTML extensions.

IE is criticized because it is rubbish and *doesn't follow the
standards*.

> If they try to get it into the standard, it will take ages to get it
> through the committee, and they will lose the competitive advantage of
> developing that feature in the first place.
>
> Unfortunately the standards process just does not keep up with
> innovation. But personally, I don't think it should - details should
> be thrashed out, and issues should be resolved in standards,
> particularly those that could not be foreseen during the initial
> implementation.

Yes, that tends to happen and is fine...the point is though that there
is a working towards a standard, which is not currently what's
happening with Flash or Silverlight. Both are pretending SVG doesn't
exist. Flash has some token support for it is the best anyone can say.

> I'm a believer of what Sebastian said - "Competition is what drives
> technology forward, standards come after the war to clean up the mess,
> but they don't innovate."

Again, i disagree, but then maybe I think more highly of humanity than
you do... :-)

> What would be nice would be a SVG container for Flex/SL, and one that
> can reach out into the app and allow the app to reach in.

Indeed. I'd be amazed if both MS and Adobe don't have a functioning
SVG interpreter figured out for their respective plugins, ready to
jump if that ever becomes necessary (ie, their market share would
improve if they included it).

Guy

> [...]
> > market share. It has nothing to do with supporting W3C standards.
> It is only
> > about funneling more developers into delivering for the Flash
> platform in
> > the face of MS and Silverlight.
> > I think you are seriously misguided about the role of standards.
> HTML seems
> > to have worked pretty well. I don't see MS or Adobe trying to do
> their own
> > versions of that (though they may screw up their support for it at
> times,
> > yes IE is dreadful)...
> > Guy
> >

> > On 27/01/2009, at 9:30 AM, Sebastien ARBOGAST wrote:
> >
> > Like all W3C standards, SVG is just one tiny little piece of the
> puzzle. The
> > Flash platform or silverlight offer much more than that of course.
> Component
> > libraries, styling, scripting support, system integration,
> remoting support,
> > IDEs, and all the accessories that, like it or not, only a big
> company can
> > produce.
> >
> > Competition is what drives technology forward, standards come
> after the war
> > to clean up the mess, but they don't innovate.
> > With the iPhone being so closed, at least Android and Palm have a
> big card
> > to play on openness to compete.
> > But wishing for one silver bullet technology is not a dream, it is
> not even
> > a utopia, it's like wishing for hell on earth.
> > Oh, and by the way, the Flex SDK is totally Open Source, but this
> has
> > already been repeated thousands of times so I guess you know.
> > Sébastien Arbogast
> >
> > http://sebastien-arbogast.com
> >

> > 2009/1/26 Guy Morton <g...@alchemy.com.au>
> >>
> >> Mm..yes, but then again Apple is supporting SVG on the
> iPhone...Adobe
> >> hasn't exactly covered itself in glory with its support for SVG.
> Of course
> >> since they bought Macromedia they no longer have any strategic
> use for it.
> >> And now we have Silverlight from MS we have THREE technologies
> that are
> >> essentially the same - two proprietory and one a W3C standard.
> >>
> >> Sigh. It's the usual mess we get when corporations exercise their
> >> competitive impulses.
> >> Wouldn't it have been nice to have an open vector animation
> standard (SVG)
> >> that would play in a commonly deployed runtime (Flash)? Then we
> could all
> >> develop once and have native playback in browsers that support
> SVG, player
> >> support for those that don't and we'd be able to target the iPhone.
> >> That of course will never happen. :-)
> >> Guy
> >>

> >> On 27/01/2009, at 12:23 AM, Wally Kolcz wrote:
> >>
> >> Could not have put it any better myself.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: