Apologies for how long this email became, but I was reading around on the
trusty wikipedia and wanted to try to clear up some things about the
"success" of the existing web standards. I don't want this to come off as
too much of a rant, but it proably will.

Let's take a look at the history of CSS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSS):
CSS level 1: November 4, 1997
CSS level 2: May 12, 1998
CSS level 3: began 1998, still unfinished

A brief excerpt:
The CSS Working Group began tackling issues that had not been addressed with
CSS level 1, resulting in the creation of CSS level 2 on November 4, 1997.
It was published as a W3C Recommendation on May 12, 1998. *CSS level 3,
which was started in 1998, is still under development as of 2008*.

*In 2005 the CSS Working Groups decided to enforce the requirements for
standards more strictly. This meant that already published standards like
CSS 2.1, CSS 3 Selectors and CSS 3 Text were pulled back from Candidate
Recommendation to Working Draft level.*

And if you really want to have fun look at the half-assed implementation of
CSS across the many browsers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_layout_engines_(CSS). It's been
10 years since CSS 2 was written (10 years!) and yet there still isn't even
consistent implementation of that. And CSS 3 implementation is a joke.

Maybe HTML is better, let's look at that (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML#Version_history_of_the_standard):
HTML 2: 1995
HTML 3.2 recommendation: January, 1997
HTML 4 recommendation: December, 1997
HTML 5 working draft: January 2008 (10 years!)

Hmm, maybe we can look at ECMAScript, the standard controlling JavaScript
development (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECMAScript)
ECMAScript 1: June 1997
ECMAScript 2: June 1998
ECMAScript 3: December 1999
Added E4X to ECMAScript: June 2004
ECMAScript 4: scrapped
ECMAScript Harmony: in development

And now, finally, we'll look at the timeline of Flash/ActionScript:
Flash Player 2: 1997
Flash Player 3: 1998
Flash Player 4: May, 1999
Flash Player 5: August 2000
ActionScript 1: September, 2000
Flash Player 6: March 2002
Flash Player 7: September 2003
ActionScript 2: September 2003
Flash Player 8: August 2005
Flah Player 9: June 2006
ActionScript 3: June 2006
Flash Player 10: October 2008

So for literally the past 10 years the standards bodies haven't been able to
release a single completed specification. That goes for HTML, CSS, and
ECMASCript (the closest would be the draft of the unimplemented HTML 5 that
was released a year ago). The entire "standards-based web" is running on
stuff that was written before the dot-com bubble burst! Now look at how
Flash has progressed since 1999. That includes the complete evolution of
ActionScript all the way from the very first version to the AS3 (including
the recent Vector, etc enhancements that come with Player 10). The entire
evolution of AS3 occurred after the last ECMAScript spec was written. CSS 3
started development in 1998 and still isn't finished. In that same time
period we went from Flash Player 3 to 10.

I'm not holding my breath for anything new coming out of these standards
groups. 10 years and they can't write a specification. The entire world
changes in 10 years.

Doug