From: Mark Easton <mar...@azurebell.co.nz>
To: Flexcoders <flexcoders@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [flexcoders] Charting 1 minute data over 1 year
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:04:42 +1300

Hi,

I am trying to work out how best to produce a chart which allows a user
make sense of data logged every minute for up to 12 months (ie 524160
values). To complicate matters the graphs are are presented on a
dashboard
where the user can display many graphs at once - so we are not just
displaying the one graph and the size of the graph will change depending
on
how many graphs are being displayed in the dashboard window.

We are logging sensor data (temperature, current, vibration, humidity,
wind
speed etc). Client does not like a month, week, day, hour, minute drill
down
scenario - I tried that and it was rejected. He wants a line graph, but
where we do have to average data would like to some idea of max and mins
-
maybe that can be done in point comment. Trouble is if we chart so many
points then there are too many points for the mouse click to discern.

Essentially the client would like to see the data always at maximum
detail
no matter what period is being looked at. I have read this
http://www.cynergysystems.com/blogs/page/andrewtrice?entry=visualizing_large
_data_sets, and am thinking that I will need to proceed in kind and to
use
an Image object and set BitmapData pixels directly - depending on how I
decide to reimplement this thing. Of course I am limited by the number
of
pixels available along the x-axis for a given chart size.

This is complicated as the client would like to zoom on the graph and
also
look at time slices. The client would also like to be able to see
exceptions
clearly on the graph - for example if there was a vibration spike. Also
sometimes the sensor might not be operational so we need to see those
breaks
in the graph when no data was captured.

All in all I am finding this a complicated requirement to unravel, as
some
of the requirements seem to be nonsensical - eg having a zoom - when the
client always wants to see maximum detail???

So, I need to work out a design for this which will best meet the
clients
requirement and which flex can handle.

Any comments and ideas are appreciated. I am working on this presently,
so
as I come up with ideas on how to proceed I will post them here.

Cheers
Mark