If anyone else comes across this need, here's how I solved it for my
particular setup.

My Flex app is the client on the Kiosk that connects via RPC back to a
PHP backend.

So when I need to print, I call a service on my backend which
generates a PDF and returns a URL.

Flex then calls a Java Print Server that I wrote that sits and listens
for incoming URLs to print. When it gets one, it prints to the default
printer.

Javascript was just too inconsistent for this.

Thanks all.