I know I could do it using tabs and panels, but an existing FLEX version
could save me a lot of time.

that ribbon design  is a perfect example of what flex shines for.
it's nothing more than tabs and canvas/Hbox panels. that's probably about 5
sec setup.
I'm not sure I understand what you would you need a component for ..